ByGB Blog Official 2018-07-03 1777
Many cell phones have a Wi-Fi radio included, so you can connect to the Internet using your regular Internet connection instead of using cell service.
● This approach lets you browse faster and save on data costs.
● Your downloaded data won't count toward you data limit.
● Some carriers also allow you to place calls using your Wi-Fi network.
● Be careful: these may or may not count such calls toward your monthly minutes.
Smartphones can connect to the Wi-Fi network in your home or at a public hotspot, just like a laptop can.
● While using Wi-Fi, your phone will not use up any data from your data plan.
● This makes Wi-Fi the best way to download large files or watch videos.
● Unless your Internet provider has a data cap, browse and stream without limits.
Most phones and networks still require a cell connection to place calls, even while browsing the Web through Wi-Fi.
● Certain carriers offer dedicated phones with Wi-Fi calling.
● These phones can place calls over your Internet connection.
● This allows you to use the phone even if you have no cell reception.
● Some carriers provide free Wi-Fi calling separate from regular call minutes.
Even if your cell provider does not offer Wi-Fi calling, you can still place calls using your Internet connection using Voice over IP services such as Vonage or Skype.
● To use these services, download an app and create an account with the provider.
● A VOIP call over Wi-Fi will not pass through your cell provider.
● Depending on your carrier, you can also make VoIP calls while on a cell Internet connection (e.g. 3G), but this will use your cell plan's data.
If you want to use Wi-Fi services on your phone, you need to have a compatible phone.
● In general, all smartphone brands can connect to Wi-Fi for data, but most regular cell phones cannot.
● Wi-Fi calling requires separate phone features, further limiting the selection.
● In particular, the iPhone does not support Wi-Fi calling as of iOS 6.
● Wi-Fi calling also requires a compatible cell provider and cell plan.
|You may also want to read:|
|How to use phone hotspot on Android iPhone & WinPhone?|
|Country-based mobile phone network frequency bands coverage guide|
For the purpose of this new article, the featured image(s) were sourced from the internet. For any issue, please contact us, and we will deal with the matter promptly.