ByIngrid Wilhelmina 2019-05-16 2407
You are supposed to remember this password by heart to avoid network intrusions, but what happens if you can't remember it anymore? Your network is doomed forever, and you will never be able to connect to it again? No! Don't worry because there are different solutions that will allow you to regain control of your network. If nothing works, we will end up resetting the router to recover its default password. To perform these manipulations, I advise you to use a computer rather than a laptop and the operating system used is indicated.
If you have never changed your router/box password before, it should still match the default password chosen by the manufacturer. Here are my tips for connecting to the network:
▪ Check the router box: many manufacturers write their credentials directly on the router box for the first use. If you have not modified them you should be able to use them.
▪ Check the installation guide: If your router's identifiers are not on the box, it is likely that they are on the box or in the installation guide. Check them to recover your password.
▪ Use the WPS button: To connect via WiFi to a recent router it is not necessarily necessary to know the password. You can also use the "fast connection" function called "WPS". This allows you to connect to the network without entering the password by pressing a physical button on the router. Simply press this button on the router and start connecting your device.
If you are still connected to the network whose password you are trying to know, here is the procedure to follow on Windows:
▪ Right-click on the network icon at the bottom right of the screen, it is the symbol that looks like small stairs. This should bring up two network options: "Solve problems" and "Open network and internet settings".
▪ Click on "Open Network and Internet Settings" or "Network & Internet Settings" in English.
▪ Click on the "WiFi" tab on the left of the window that opened.
▪ Select "Change adapter options" at the top right of the page, in the "associated settings" section. This will open a control panel page.
▪ Select your current WiFi network. You should see a computer icon with green network bars: this is the wireless network to which you are connected.
▪Right-click and select "Status". On Windows 10, you can also find this shortcut just below the address bar of the file browser.
▪Then go to "Wireless Properties" in the middle of the window that opened.
▪Click on the "Security" tab at the top of the window. This will open a page with a "Network
▪Security Key" section in the middle of the page, where your Wifi password is stored. All you have to do is display the password to use it.
On Mac you don't need to be connected to the network to find your password, here's the procedure to follow:
▪ Open the Mac "Finder" (file explorer), it is the icon that looks like a blue/white face on your desktop.
▪ Click on "Go" at the top of the screen in the menu that has just opened and select "Utilities".
▪ Then go to "access the keychain", the menu item that looks like a bunch of keys.
▪ Then simply search for the name of the network whose password you are trying to find, select it and check its password.
▪ As on Windows you have to click on "display password" to make it really display. The system will ask you for the PC administrator password and you will be able to access the network password.
The password for connecting via WiFi is not the same as the password for connecting to your router. If you are wired to the network (with an ethernet cable), you can find the WiFi password in the router settings. To do this, you will first have to connect to the router's administration interface, then here are the steps to follow:
▪ To start, make sure that the password for your WiFi connection is not displayed on the interface home screen. If this is the case you can simply display it by clicking on it.
▪ If not available, go to the "WiFi" or "Wireless" section. This is usually a tab at the top or left of the screen, but router interfaces can vary greatly and it can also be a drop-down menu or a subsection of another menu.
▪ On the WiFi properties page a lot of information will be displayed. The SSID of the network (network name), the type of encryption used (usually WEP, WPA, WPA2, WPA/WPA2 or WPA3 more recently) and also the password we are interested in. It can be displayed basic or hidden by stars, if this is the case you usually just have to click on it or on "reveal password" to display it on the screen.
If you have been unable to retrieve your password using the methods described above, you only have one solution left: reset the router to its factory settings. This will not allow you to set the password of your choice, but it will replace it with the default password of the template. This is the password I was telling you about at the top of the article and that you can find on the router or in the installation manual. Resetting the router to its factory settings will also disconnect all devices connected to it, it is a measure of last resort.
▪ Find the "Reset" button on your router, usually located on the back of the device and requires a pen/handle tip to be pressed.
▪ Perform a "30/30/30 reset": press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds. After these first 30 seconds, disconnect the router and keep the button pressed for an additional 30 seconds. While keeping the button pressed, reconnect the router and continue to press the reset button for 30 seconds.
▪ Look for the default credentials of your router. They are often written on a label directly on the router or in the installation guide. If you can no longer find it, I recommend this site which collects all the default passwords for the different router models. If you are looking for the password of a box, you can contact your operator to ask him.
If you have used this method to find your WiFi password, your network is now very vulnerable and it is imperative to set up some security measures.
Connect to your network via WiFi using the found password. If you need help for this step I propose a complete article on the different methods to connect you.
|You may also want to read:|
|How to unlock an Android phone if you forgot the password|
|Secrets of Xiaomi: defeat any fingerprint & password problem|
|Fix Ulefone Metal smartphone power on/off & password issues|
How to install a VPN on your router?
Is the OnePlus 8 Pro Waterproof or Not?