Xiaomi’s Mi Band is the name that I trust the most for its attractive yet affordable fitness accessories.
After creating immense popularity with the last year’s Mi Band 3, Xiaomi has recently launched its successor Mi Band 4 at an annual ecosystem event in China.
Mentioned below is the specification overview of Mi Band 4 for our better understanding.
- AMOLED colored touchscreen display with 2.5D scratch-resistant glass
- Microphone for the voice assistant, only for the NFC edition
- Heart rate sensor
- 3-axis Accelerometer, Gyroscope, and Capacitive monitoring sensor
- 22.2 g of ultra-light body
- Water resistant up to 50 meters
- Bluetooth connectivity 5.0 LE, NFC (optional)
- 135mAh (for non-NFC) and 123mAh (NFC) Li-Ion polymer battery
Unboxing Xiaomi Mi Band 4:
Yesterday, I finally got my hands on Mi Band 4 that comes with a charging cable and a user manual within the box.
The Mi Band 4 needs to be connected to a smartphone for activation.
I found it very easy to connect the device with my phone as the instructions were all in English.
Speaking about the design and display, Xiaomi has created a sleek body flat colored touchscreen that displays date & time, battery bar, and the number of steps.
Attention-grabbing features of Mi Band 4:
Once the device is set-up via Bluetooth to the Mi-Fit app, it shows the remaining battery percentage in Mi Band 4.
There are also other related options that appear on the Mi-Fit app screen like band display, screen unlocks, incoming calls, event reminders, alarms, other app notification.
Now, on selecting the first option “Band Display,” a page with around 77 colorful themes opens up which can be chosen to apply on the Mi Band 4 screen.
I enabled a few of the features present in Mi-Fit app so that I can get notifications while I am far away from my phone.
Then there is an automatic heart rate monitor, sleep assistance, and idle alert feature present within the Mi-Fit app, which I consider impressive.
Automatic heart rate detection and sleep assistance can both be activated at the same time if we want to monitor the heart rate even when sleeping.
There is a Home button at the bottom of the Mi Band 4 screen which is marked with a small outlined circle which navigates you to the Home page.
It is effortless to navigate through pages of Mi Band 4. You only need to swipe up/down or left/right to change pages or options.
The following are in-built features of Mi Band 4 which I have found while navigating.
- Status- It shows the number of steps that I have walked, the distance I have covered and calories I have burned.
It also has an idle alert option at the bottom, that alerts with mild vibration when sitting for a long time.
- Heart rate- Xiaomi Mi Band 4 can help to measure heart rate in bpm (Beats per minute).
The manufacturers have incorporated a special Photoplethysmogram (PPG) sensor that helps in measuring blood pressure accurately.
Mi Band 4 can alert with vibrations whenever it senses a higher heart rate.
- Workout- Many workout options indicate individual activities, namely, outdoor running, treadmill, cycling, walking, heavy exercising, and pool swimming.Mi Band 4 is superbly water resistant up to 50 meters and can track different types of swimming strokes like Freestyle, Backstroke, Butterfly Stroke, and Medley.
This is because the Chinese manufacturer has integrated a 6-axis sensor (3-axis gyroscope and 3-axis accelerometer) to identify individual swimming strokes.
Its clever technology can even rate the user as a swimmer depending on our performance. Hence, I must say that Mi Band 4 can act as a decent motivator too.
- Weather- The device is capable of auto-updating its location and forecast accurate weather of that region for the next consecutive three days.- Notification- This section shows all the notifications from incoming calls, messages, reminders, or other applications.
What I adore is, even within 0.95 inches screen, I was able to read short text messages. However, reading long text messages here is challenging.
If there are a lot of notifications, then Mi Band 4 will only show us the last three notifications. There is also a “Clear All” option for deleting all the notifications.
- More- This is a gateway to some more options like DND, Alarm, Music, Stopwatch, Timer, Silent, AliPay, and Settings.
Within settings, there are other options like Reboot, Factory Reset, etc., which may not be used unless required.
No matter what the product is, I am significantly concerned about battery backup and capacity.
Here, Mi Band 4 comes with 135mAh battery capacity and Xiaomi claims that the battery will last for 20 days on a single charge.
However, the auto heart and sleep monitoring feature, which drains quite a lot of charge is slightly disturbing the overall battery life.
We need to take out the monitor from the wrist band, clip the monitor to the band of the charging cable and attach it to power bank or adapter for charging.
I cherish that Mi Band 4 acts as my trainer by analyzing my stamina and endurance in sports activities.
As soon as I wore Mi Band 4, it started capturing the real-time data of my heartbeat and pulse rate and started analyzing all my activities.
Furthermore, all information is stored in our mobile within the Mi-Fit app, which can only be erased manually.
It can mark out my faults now and receive alerts in case of any shortcoming in my day-to-day physical performance.
It’s noteworthy how Xiaomi Mi Band 4 became my true companion within a day. Make it your best friend too, soon!